*Please note that this Call for Papers is for a Special Issue of the TRR for publication-only papers.
The Transportation Research Record (TRR) Journal invites you to submit papers for a Special Issue of TRR under the broad theme of freight transportation automation, logistics, and supply chains, covering both the private and public sectors. Of particular interest are papers
- advancing state-of-the-art theories, design practices or operations,
- exploring the role of automation in the freight industry and freight planning,
- including information technologies, new modeling tools, and data sharing paradigms,
- addressing the impacts on logistics and supply chains, international trade, equity, and environmental sustainability.
Papers are all welcome in the areas of urban or rural, mode-oriented, or intermodal, public or private, and regional or global. Sample topics include the following:
- Role of digitization, automation, and autonomous transportation/trucks in freight mobility and planning
- New freight modes (e.g., last-mile robots, drones, cargo bikes, hyperloop)
- Impact of Cyber-Physical Systems, Internet of Things or Physical Internet on freight systems
- E-commerce, Shared or on-demand economy, Crowdsourcing impacts on freight (e.g., same-day deliveries, consolidation centers, crowd-shipping micro-distribution centers, warehouses)
Freight data and modelling
- Network models of freight flow and logistics
- Innovative data sources and methods of data integration/fusion
- Operations research models for freight and logistics systems
- Shipper, carrier, receiver, consumer behavioral models and decision support tools
- Trade, computable general equilibrium, Agent Based models and spatial pricing equilibrium models
Logistics and supply chains
- Commercial vehicle operations e.g., weigh-in-motion, drayage, off-peak deliveries, long haul truck parking, cruising for parking
- Operations at freight facilities: e.g., cross-dock operations, cargo operations at ports, railyard scheduling, hinterland operations
- Supply chain networks: e.g., freight consolidation centers, resilient networks, bullwhip effects, supplier selection
- Impact of 3D printing in the supply chain and logistics
- Pricing policies (e.g., congestion pricing, cap, and trade, tariffs, carbon taxation, facility leasing)
- Demand management policies (e.g., voluntary off-peak deliveries, receiver-led consolidation programs, Curbside management)
- Infrastructure policies on truck operations: e.g., managed lanes, alternative fuel truck infrastructure (smart grid, charging stations/lanes)
- Effects of international trade policies (e.g., USMCA, border security) or national trends on local goods movement
- Truck Size and Weight
- Strategic interactions between private operators and public agencies: subsidies, privacy in data sharing, outsourcing, regulations etc.
- Incident management and safety in freight movements (including hazardous material), e.g. train derailments, truck accidents
- Emergency relief and humanitarian logistics
The papers are due by 31th January 2022. The first review/decision will be provided within 3 months. The guidelines to submit the manuscripts are at https://www.editorialmanager.com/trr/Default.aspx. The papers will be made freely available via an open access link.
For any questions regarding this Call for Papers, please contact Sushant Sharma (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Patti Lockhart (email@example.com).
Sponsored by TRB’s Freight Transportation Planning and Logistics Committee (AT015), and Co-sponsored by Urban Freight Transportation Committee (AT025), Freight Transportation Data Committee (AED70) and Subcommittee on Transit, Freight, and Logistics Modeling AEP40(1) and Freight Systems Group.
- Dr. Sushant Sharma, Texas A&M Transportation Institute, Texas A&M University, USA
- Dr. Hani Mahmassani, Northwestern University, USA
- Dr. Lorant Tavasszy, TU Delft, Netherlands
- Dr. Jose Holguin-Veras, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, USA
- Dr. Alison Conway, City College of New York, USA
- Dr. Bill Eisele, Texas A&M Transportation Institute, Texas A&M University, USA
- Dr. Monique Stinson, Argonne National Lab, USA
- Dr. Xiaokun (Cara) Wang, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, USA
- Dr. Shengchuan Zhao, Dalian University of Technology, China
- Dr. Shuaian (Hans) Wang, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, China
- Dr. Prasanta Sahu, Birla Institute of Technology, India
- Ms. Coral Torres, Surface Transportation Board, USA
- Dr. Erica Wygonik, Resource Systems Group, USA
- Dr. Ivan Sanchez Diaz, Chalmers University, Sweden
- Dr. Avinash Unnikrishnan, Portland State University, USA
- Dr. Joseph Chow, New York University, USA
- Dr. Johan W. Joubert, University of Pretoria, South Africa
- Dr. Matthew J. Roorda, University of Toronto, Canada
- Dr. Sabya Mishra, University of Memphis, USA
- Dr. Bo Zou, University of Illinois Chicago, USA
- Dr. Dezhi Zhang, Central South University, China
About TRR – The Transportation Research Record (TRR) is the flagship journal of the Transportation Research Board and is one of the most cited transportation journals in the world, offering unparalleled depth and breadth in its coverage. TRR is the #1 transportation journal cited in patent applications and policy documents and is committed to fast, fair, and transparent review.