Quick Guide For TRB Committee Reviewers
Reviews will commence in August 2022.
- Review submissions within your area of expertise and return your comments by September 15
- Respect the confidentiality of the process
- Be objective, professional, and constructive in your review
- Declare any conflicts of interest (professional, personal or financial) and recuse yourself from the review
- Read the Abstract and accept or reject invitation to review as soon as possible
- Read the paper and form an initial impression before you begin writing
- If the paper is unintelligible, please return it to the committee with a recommendation to desk reject
- If a good paper is compromised by poor writing, tactfully note this in your comments and suggest a grammar review; do not provide individual corrections unless they relate to the content
- Identify specific strengths and weaknesses of the paper in your summary
- Provide detailed and constructive comments to help with revisions in the text box titled "Reviewer Comments to Authors"
- Provide an assessment of the paper in the text box titled "Reviewer Confidential Comments to Editor"
- Do not communicate with the authors directly as this is a blind review process
- If appropriate, suggest additional relevant literature for the author to consider
Things to Consider:
- Does the title and abstract properly reflect the subject of the paper?
- Are the narrative and the key findings of the paper clearly described?
- Will the work be of interest to TRB attendees?
- Is the methodology appropriate to the topic of research?
- Does the paper make a meaningful contribution to the current literature and/or practice?
- Are there major conceptual or factual errors?
- Is any information unclear?
- Is the paper an appropriate length?
What to Expect:
- You will receive an invitation with the paper abstract to review from TRB Committee Review;
- please accept or decline within 5 days
- Your review is due by September 15
- If the paper was submitted for publication, you will be asked to provide a 1-10 recommendation to go to the Editorial Board for further review
- The decision options are Accept or Reject for presentation at TRB
- You can indicate your willingness to evaluate a revision of the paper if the paper goes on to the Editorial Board
- You will be copied on the Committee decision letter, and your comments will be sent to the author and Editorial Board by October 1
For more information, please visit our full reviewer guidelines PDF.
To download a one-page printable PDF of this page, click here.